Sunday, February 10, 2008

Good morning, it's been a few days but I do have an excuse. My granddaughter was brought home unexpectedly from college in Utah to have surgery on an injured foot. I was need to babysit a bit and haul people around and also needed to work a bit. Becky made it through her surgery just fine, a bit of pain for a day or two but after a few weeks of therapy she will be back in school. I want you to know that I do spend a bit of time in the late evenings perusing blog sites and I finally have been leaving a few messages. There are so many out there and I enjoy them all. I have not had a lot of time to do any piecing so I thought today I would share a quilt that I made to display at Spring Market last year (in Salt Lake City) and there were lots of wonderful comments. Most would look and then say something like "why is there an applique quilt in a booth about painting?" We would then inform them that it was painted with Paintstiks and most would then get up close and personal to check it out. The pattern was a BOM by Linda Yantis of Chandler, AZ. I sent photos to Linda and she was impressed. One of the other applique designers saw this and asked if I would do one of hers, it is a butterfly that I finished for Houston Market. While looking for this photo I found another quilt that I want to share. This one is from Coffee Time Quilts by Cathy Wierzbicki. I fell in love with this pattern and went to my stash and started to pull fabric. I swear, I did not have to buy anything, I found the focus print first and then was happy to discover that I could pull all the rest together using stash fabric. I was so proud of myself. When I was at the point of having it up on the design wall to figure out what kind of border to use another granddaughter and her future husband came to visit and when they saw the quilt decided that was the one they wanted for a wedding present. Well what to do? Not much choice so this quilt was then finished up and given away. One of these days maybe I will make another one for me. I love making big quilts but soon I will need to do more wall hangings as I am running out of room in my house for the big ones. But then again my kids and grandkids are always will to take them off my hands. For some reason my computer isn't letting me do links from here so I will add Linda and Cathy to my favorite designers on the side so you can go and look at their other work. Enjoy. See you soon.

4 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Love the applique quilt w/paintsticks; such nice color and dimesion. The wedding quilt is gorgeous. You are quite prolific!

MARCIE said...

Oh good, you are showing what you do with Paintstiks! So pretty! And of course I love the Coffeetime Quilt! I hope our college girl is feeling better today.

Unknown said...

What georgous quilts, Love the painted one. I thought it was an applique also. I wish I could have draw the other one up to full size to see it better. I don't blame your granddaughter for wanting it. I have quilts made already for my Grandkids when they get married.

Ssure hope the GD heals fast and is able to get back to school.

Unknown said...

I've been looking for this pattern of BOM by Linda Yantis. You posted pictures, I think the name is Sow Good Seeds Norweigian Florals. If you still have the pattern would you be interested in selling it? Thanks (Alicia_retired@yahoo.com)